This course provides a basic introduction to teaching Handwriting in the Foundation Phase. Learners who have mastered handwriting become fluent writers and are able to spend more energy on creative and critical thinking. This course looks briefly at the essential pre-writing skills that learners, as well as important elements to consider when planning and implementing handwriting lessons.
Introduction to handwriting
- Why is handwriting important?
- What are prewriting skills?
- Writing readiness skills
- Pre-writing skills by age
- Pencil grip expectations by age
- Letter formation
- A multi-sensory approach to teaching handwriting
- Pencil control activities
- Explicit teaching of handwriting
- Correct sitting posture for effective writing
- Where to start?
- What to look for when assessing handwriting